ESCALIER DE CRISTAL
L’Escalier de Cristal, a company created around 1800 by Mme Veuve Desarnaud, famous under The Bourbon Restoration for being the first to offer decorative objects combining cut-crystal and gilded bronze. The company was awarded a gold medal at the Exposition des produits de l’industrie française in 1819 for a crystal toilette. Located at the Palais-Royal, Galerie de Valois, L’Escalier de Cristal was taken over in 1830 by Boin, then by Lahoche in 1840, where the business really developed and became prosperous.
Lahoche joined forces with his son-in-law to found Lahoche and Pannier in 1852. Emile Pannier then managed the business alone in 1872, followed by his sons, from 1885 to 1923, who established Pannier Frères, located at the corner of rue Scribe and rue Auber, next to the new Opera House.
The company won multiple awards and medals at The Great Exhibition in London, New York and Paris, including the gold medal at the 1900 Paris Exposition.
L’Escalier de Cristal, concerned with the quality of materials, production and refinement, was also associated with the most luxurious creations, specializing in ceramics and glassware and also offering furniture and bronze art, which then formed the world renown Maison Escalier de Cristal, and introduced their fashionable Japanese creations (cloisonné enamel decoration, Japanese motifs, etc.) thus recreating an imaginary Orient in the Paris of Napoleon III.
Escalier de Сristal ceased its commercial activity definitively in 1923.