Boisseau Émile André
Boisseau exhibited regularly at the Paris Salon from 1868 after studying sculpture at the École des Beaux-Arts under the supervision of Dumont and Bonnassieux. He was particularly fond of the size of marble, which he liked to combine with bronze, and even Onyx. Among his submissions were “l’Amour captif”, 1891, “Le Crépuscule”, 1883, marble group.
In 1882, he carved a statue of Beaumarchais for the facade of the Town Hall in Paris. A marble version of his “Défense du foyer” from 1884 was purchased by the City of Paris, who erected it in the public garden of Champ-de-Mars.
In 1888, he was appointed director of the Museum of Art and History Romain Rolland in Clamecy. He offered several of his sculptures to the establishment.
Vice-president of the Society of French artists, president of the artistic property union, officer of The Legion of Honour since 1900, Émile Boisseau died on February 17, 1923 in his Parisian hotel.